Tuesday 5 August 2014

Role Model

A role model is not to be confused with a mentor.

A role model is someone in your life that has influenced, shaped and molded you in a positive way. It may not be someone that you know personally but it could also be someone that you had grown to admire due their positive attributes.  It could be President Barack Obama, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, Princess Diana, Mother Theresa, Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones, Roberto Baggio, Pele, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Ayrton Senna and so forth. 

Whereas, a mentor is someone you know personally who is able to guide, monitor and influence you. For example, your parents, teachers and preachers.

Your role model and mentor could also be your parents. 

They are the ones closest to you and their upbringing helped shape and defined who you are today.

When you hit hard times, they are the first ones that you will look for help, advice and guidance. They will never judge you on your past but only look to help because they love you.

You will never feel awkward talking to them about your problems because you know that it will not change their opinion of you and they will keep your secret.

Parents are the ones who gave us a bath when we were dirty, fed us when we were hungry, made our favorite food when we had cravings and did not want to eat anything else, clothed us stylishly when we needed to go out, combed our hair when we did not know how, brushed our teeth when we were unable to, took us to the doctor when we were sick, educated us for us to strive, taught us values to be better and honorable people, corrected us when we were wrong, taught us to pray to God, prayed for us when we did not, hand washed our clothes when the washing machine was down, ironed our clothes to make us look impeccable, brought us to the barber when we needed a haircut, bought us sweets and toys to make us happy, played with us when we did not have friends, changed the bed sheets when we soiled it, carried us to bed when we were too tired to go on our own, tugged us in bed when we were cold, kissed and hugged us when we missed them and love us unconditionally.

My dad may not be a famous sportsman, movie star or politician. He is just an average Joe who works hard to this day to ensure that his family is always provided for. My mom on the other hand, practically raised us on her own singlehandedly. My grandmother was the utmost purest and loving person that I can remember. For that and all the values that dad, mom and granny have instilled in me, I salute you all.

My dad and I are like night and day when it comes to ideas and opinion but I guess I never knew how much I am influenced by him, until recently.       

A friend of my wife, upon returning recently from Australia, presented my wife with a small kola bear. I remember my dad had a similar one years ago which he had placed on the gear lever of his mini cooper. I think his was written Perth of the bear's clothes. 

I did not think much of it and it had made no impression on me at the time. But guess what I did when my wife asked me what to do with the kola bear present. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Love you mom and dad    


No comments:

Post a Comment