Sunday 27 April 2014

English Angora

There are many species of rabbits out there. Finding one that is suitable with your traits is the secret. My advice is to always do a bit of research before purchasing one. Don’t look for one merely because you find it cute. Find one that is suitable to what you can offer. 

I notice there are many people who purchase pets (any pets) who later find themselves unable to care for it properly due to the fact that it was cute in infancy but as an adult it is not cute and cuddly anymore, no time to look after, it’s becoming a nuisance, it’s messy, difficult to toilet train, it chews my shoes, it scratches my furniture and or its expensive to maintain.

Remember a pet is like a child, it needs patience and guidance to flourish. Owning a pet can be very rewarding or a nightmare. It all depends on you and how to take care of it. If you provide your pet with ample love and care, you will get the same in return. You will end up with many blissful years and wonderful memories to cherish.

On 19 April 2014 my wife and I purchased a pair of pure breed English Angora. They are a vast different from the lion head rabbits I previously owned. For one it is very docile and not aggressive. They tend not to run much too. They resemble the characteristics of a Persian cat.  

I feed them Oxbow Bunny Basic pallets (product of USA) RM39.90, Petssion Timothy Hay 1 kg (imported version) RM25.90, Kangkung (Water Spinach), Carrots and Papayas. They also sleep under a fan 24 hours. What spoilt brats. 

They are only 3 months old. The pearl blue is male and the brown is female. We have not named them yet. My son suggested Kratos (God of War - PSP Game) and Gypsie Danger (Pacific Rim). Definitely not going to name them that. You can see the level of maturity of kids now days. At his age, 6 years old, I would have chosen names like Peter, Jane, Patch, Dot, etc. 

Kratos and Gypsie Danger, if my son has his way


Tasting my Orchid Leaves


Scouting the area


Very Manja. Have not been combed. See the messy frizzy hair


Uncombed. Looks like a huge hair ball


The Grooming process begins. Usually comb them every 4 days


See the amount of untangled hair that easily comes off


I prefer using this brush as the end has a button which you merely press to push the hair to the surface. It is indeed easier to use compared to other brushes


I also use this purchased at RM18.90 from Pets More S/B, SS15. CPG - Coatclean Waterless bath. Just spray and wipe. They will smell as if they had a bath using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. But the smell does not last long


See how neat they look, after being groomed. Sorry she's hiding her face, camera shy


Back into their cage for rest


See their fur. It's silky soft and very fine. Similar to cotton


1 comment:

  1. Your rabbits are so cute and furry. =)

    I noted the feeding list and would like to know where you got your Timothy hay and how do you find the quality of the hay for the brand?

    I have recently been promoted (or demoted) with rabbit care for my sister's Angora Lop. So am looking around for suitable hay for the little prince.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete