Monday 21 April 2014

Coliseum Cafe Jaya 33

Who has not heard of Coliseum Cafe? Practically everyone born and bread in Kuala Lumpur has. It remains One of the oldest and most established and prominent eateries that is still going strong. Located at 98 Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, 50100 Kuala Lumpur, Phone:03-2692 6270. Open from 10 am to 10pm. It is almost a constitution. Almost everyone who is famous from local to foreign dignitaries has set foot in this establishment.

I still remember during my childhood my parents and uncle use to bring us there for their chicken and lamb chop. It was served with kopitiam style bread and butter.  

Only recently did I discover that they have their only branch in Jaya 33. What else, must make a point to go and that's what I did on 19 April 2014. The outlet is located on the ground floor, The Plaza, Jaya 33, Section 13, Petaling Jaya.Tel: 03-7932-3228. Open 10am-10pm.

The entrance


They also have outside sitting 


All cooking and washing of the dishes are done behind this partition 


Some of the patrons during our visit. Ambiance is conservative. They wanted to achieve the old nostalgic feeling. Did they manage to achieve this? Not quite, its really hard to get the feel with modern amenities and just outside you have luxurious skyscrapers.   


The Menu. I must say service was fast, professional and prompt


First page of the Menu, a brief history of Coliseum Cafe


Some old photos on the wall to reflect a bygone era


Supreme Chicken Cordon Bleu RM29.90. Very tasty. The outer later of the chicken is crispy but remain soft and tender on the inside. The mushroom sauce is ok but not great. MY only complaint was that the chicken was a tad too small


Close up. See what I mean. One of the better cordon Bleu I have tried


Braised lamb shank RM55.00. My son ordered this. He is a fussy eater but the fact that he managed to finish half indicates how good it is. The meat was soft and can be easily cut just using your fork. The sauce is just nice not too thick or too watery. Presentation is top notch. The lamb shank is big in portion too


Coliseum Fried Rice RM15.90. Not bad


Hainanese Fried Mee RM15.90. Wife had this. She said it's one of the better ones she had tried 


Banana N Chock Spring Roll. My opinion, it's different. It is sort of like Popia (Spring Rolls) wrapped around banana and dripped in chocolate sauce, served with vanilla ice cream. Verdict, not my cup of tea. The popia banana although crispy on the outside and soft on the inside just did not do it for me. I think the spring roll banana sort of killed the flavor. RM11.90


Apple Pie and Vanilla ice cream RM12.50. This is officially one of the best apple pie I have tasted. It is soft, including the outer layer pastry and you can see the sliced apples used in the concoction. It is not too sweet and just nice for my taste buds. My advise skip on the banana spring rolls and just order 2 of these. You won't go wrong 


The bill. Service charge 10% and Gov tax 6%. I obtained 1 10% discount using Public Bank Credit Card. Drinking water is not charged. Cheers and enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment