Wednesday 23 July 2014

Milk bottle

Milk bottles. When discussing this, one would naturally make a reference to breastfeeding. At one point in time, many materials were utilized from terracotta pots, ceramic vessels, cows horns to glass bottles in various shapes in creating the perfect baby feeder.

Why was baby bottles created in the first place? The answer is because there was a need to feed infants when mothers couldn't. This could be attributed to when a mother dies during childbirth or simply unable to breastfeed due to insufficient breast milk, ailing health, illness or required to join the workforce. 

Subsequently, as science advanced, glass bottles were the preferred choice as it could be sterilized killing germs, can be refrigerated thereby, keeping liquids fresh and can be easily cleaned, as it was transparent, thus, killing bacteria. 

Question, why do I keep milk bottles? For me, One it's unique shape, as it comes in various designs and varieties. Two, it's history and Three, because I have kids. Hence, I have a sentimental attachment for the significance of milk bottles and its contribution.   

This is one such milk bottle in my collection


Top view


Rear view, it has a serial no


Under the brand of Savars. I am still trying to find out more about it and it's origins


Some of the other milk bottles in my collection





No comments:

Post a Comment