Monday 6 December 2021

Straight Razor

Men have fascination with Blades, Cars, BBQ and Man Caves. Not in that exact order but the gist is there.

How did my fascination with blades begin? No!, it was not with Wesley Snipe's Blade or Rambo or Kill Bill. I guess when I really ponder about it, it started being imprinted into my mind at a much earlier age. Back, before I reach puberty and my dad use to bring me to the local wooden barbershop nearby a huge tree back in Johor Bahru. Managed and solely operated by one middle age Indian man.

He used to whisk out his black handled straight razor. Some call it cut throat razor or open razors. Give it a few passovers the leather strop and then goes straight to business with adjusting my sideburns.

Back then there were no disposable blades or alcohol solutions to disinfect the blade. Contamination, infection or viruses was not in their vocabulary. The world as my barber knew was free from Ebola, HIV and Coronavirus was non existent back then.       

I guess that's how the memories and fondness for blades got imprinted into my DNA. 

Imagine how I felt at that impressionable age. A burly guy with a sharpened blade goes to work on your face. Don't get me wrong, there were cuts and light bruises wherever the blade went but it was all good. I felt like a million bucks after that. Nice crew cut with a clean face free from unwanted hair.

I have been looking for a Straight Razor since a few years back. Always wanted to try it for a close shave. Personally I think it is more macho. Suicidal at times maybe, since I had no idea what I was doing and I had never used one before. But hell yah. You need to do so at least once in your life.

So here are some of my acquisitions.

The pierre de resistance Dovo Bergischer Lowe

This was my first razor purchased from eBay over the US. 10 years ago. The Seller was unable to provide me much information as he purchased it through an estate sale. It has sentimental value to me. My wife has a close affiliation with the Company. Made by Kropp, Germany for A.S Watsons & Co. Hong Kong.








The blade needs some care. These are pictures before I did some light maintenance. 


Birds of a feather flock together. I was always attracted towards German Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives. Here it is with my wife's 2021 birthday gift of kitchen knife set Twin Cuisine and my straight razor Henckels from the 1960's.   


Although the blade is sharp and usable. At the moment is just on display with the Kropp in my antiques showcase.


I am most delight to find the box in such condition. It is new old stock (NOS) meaning the blade is unused from the manufacturer. A rare find indeed. Henckels Friodur 72 1/2 Inox. Hollow ground stainless steel blade. 

 





Last but not least, the crown jewel that I will be actually using. I have not so far. Brushing up my knowledge before that actual shave. 


Dovo Bergischer Lowe 6/8 carbon steel Spanish point, Clad in 24K gold plating. Can't wait to use this baby.
 

Handle is Black Ebony wood.




I will use it this weekend. 11th December 2021. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment