Friday 17 September 2021

Sailor Pro Gear Mustang King

I jumped into the the Mustang king band wagon rather late. More precisely, I started drooling over this pen after it was sold out.

It was my mistake. I was just like any typical buyer. Let’s wait and see. I can purchase it another day. That was my thought process. Although I was aware that only 388 units were made.

I waited and waited until one fine day, I decided to do a random check at Pen Gallery’s website and found out that it was sold out.

Remorse immediately sank in. When it was available for purchase, I did not buy it. Now, its sold out and I’m hunting for it.

The review from Gourmet Pens in YouTube just made it worst. Ahhhhh! Why, did I not purchase it when it was available? Everything Azizah from Gourmet Pens said, I fully agreed. 

As a durian lover in particular mustang king, this fountain pen ticked all right boxes.

Mustang king is the cream of the crop. The 7 series in the BMW lineup. 

Hats off to Mr. Lai from Pen Gallery. This collaboration between them and Sailor was fruitful. No pun intended. It is truly a remarkable fountain pen that does not stray from its durian roots.

From the packaging, color of the pen and its emblem, it screams durian.

The pen arrived in this beautiful outer box. No mistaken it for anything else other than its source of inspiration. The durian.

The box inside is just a simple white box. I long for a day when packaging could me made more simpler like the Lamy Safari packaging. Simply a paper box package that will be recycled. You save space as you will not be keeping the box and furthermore, price could be lowered due to the cost savings in the packaging.

Included inside are 2 ink cartridges, pen instructions, serial number for this limited edition and 1 converter. I must say, the ink provided is a beautiful color. I cannot pin point the color but its nice. A wiring sample is provided below, towards the end of this blog. 

Sailor emblem is nice and crisp.

The ring states Sailor Japan Founded 1911 

Just in case you have forgotten that the color of this pen reflects the color of the flesh of the durian fruit, there is a reminder of the durian logo at the bottom of the pen. Cool!

My pen is numbered 243 out of 388. 243 in Mandarin means damn easy life. I wonder who purchased 007, 008, 088, 168 and 388? Lucky buggers.

Oh! I forgot, you must be wondering how did I purchase this pen as it was sold out? 

Well, one fine day in June 2021, Pen Gallery did advertise on its social media platform that they still had a few pieces left in Japan and it will arrive in September 2021. Nuff said. I jumped on it.

Beautiful 21K nib. Most pen’s I know comes in either 14K or 18K. 

The pen wrote smoothly out of the box at the first attempt. Impressive. It is a far cry from my Ferris Wheel Press Brush Fountain Pen. Even if I do not use the Sailor pen for 4 days. It writes on the first attempt. The Ferris Wheel on the other hand has hard starts up and takes numerous attempts before the ink flows, if left unused for days. 


All in all, I’m pleased with the purchase. Only my Montblanc is a smoother writer. This is my first Sailor pen and my first Broad nib.

But I must say, the Sailor Professional Gear Mustang King is a beautiful to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment