Sunday 3 December 2017

Kijang Coin

When I started my numismatic collection, I had always wanted  to be the proud  owner of an old gold Kijang coin. Condition would be immaterial as long as I owned one.

I was always fascinated by old Malaya tin coins, tin ring money, animal tin money, ingot, Sri Vijaya coins, Palembang coins, Portuguese tin coins and etc.

When I first started collecting I immediately immense myself in these old tin coins and the old time collectors were fascinated and impressed. They all thought I had been collecting for ages or that I was purchasing them for someone else or that I was purchasing it to be resold later at a higher value. When I informed that I had just started collecting and that it won’t be sold as they will become family heirlooms for my kids, they were surprised that how come a newbie would have so have much interest and fascination in old Malaya tin coin. So instead of learning from them, they started to interview me to inquire more about my attraction with these old Malaya tin coins. They commented that usually newbie would go after current Malaysian coins. Soon, I can see the questions posed by the late arwah Tuan Ishar Latif, from curiosity became admiration. However, I still did not get a discount. Ha ha ha.

After my first numismatic auction whilst waiting in my car outside Museum Negara way back in 2013, I was approached by Mr. Raja XXXX who had parked his proton nearby. He was willing to let go a Kijang coin at RM1,600. I found it to be too perfect for the price and almost flawless. He even showed me a copy of a cert sign by a renowned Master indicating it to be genuine. I did not take much heed and brushed him off but he was very persistent and insisted I take his contact details.

A few days later, I met my sifu and related the matter to him. He informed me that this guy is known for pushing off fake coins and soon some members in the numismatic society will confront him. My sifu jokingly said that he does not know you are my disciple and that your other sifu, Mr. Kevin Sia is also very revered. He doesn’t know who is behind you and we had a good laugh.

My point is always be vigilant, careful and buyers beware. It is better to pay a premium from a trusted seller and purchase from an auction. Than buy cheaper and get conned with owning a fake piece that is worthless. My sifu always said learn, ask questions and read. 

That is the only way to improve your numismatic knowledge.  

I got my chance on 26 April 2017 to own this beauty. SS54 RRR. Patani Kelantan Gold Kijang.

Also known as Kupang or Duit Emas. My piece, the Kijang faces the left with its raised tail touching the sun. SS54 means it’s from Master Saran Singh reference no 54. RRR is extremely rare.



The circle in black is saliva called ectoplasm, a supernatural viscous substance that is supposed to exude from the body of a medium during a spiritualistic trance and form the material for the manifestation of spirits.

In the legend of Palembang, if a prince was placed on the back of a  Nandi bull (Indian Bull), the bull vomited ectoplasm, then that prince will be elected to be the future King.




Reverse of the coin. In scripted in Arab, Malik Al Adil, “The Just Ruler”. Never knew why it must specify “The Just Ruler”? I mean if one is tall wouldn’t others mention that fact to him, “Oh my!, You’re rather tall”. I doubt Shaq O’ Neal goes around telling people, “Hey!, I’m tall”.


This piece is an earlier piece made by the Arabs during trade in old Malaya. Later pieces were merely inscribed Al Adil “The Just”. It is hand hammered struck not using stamping or striking mould die using a planchet like todays method; hence, they are crude and imperfect.



The dots around the edges is an ingenious way to prevent people from filing or cutting away the edge by making it smaller, i.e. curi emas.




Never in my wildest dreams, I thought I could ever own one in such condition. Until today, it remains my most expensive single purchased numismatic item. If considering what I spend on cars and its maintenance, if not for that, I would be having a decent numismatic collection.   


To ascertain the actual origin of the Kijang coin is rather difficult. Even the year and denominated is hard to state with certainty, as it is not dated and not denominated, unlike the coins of today or even yesteryear.



What I can say for certain, is that the motif is used as the current logo for Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM).



The first governor of BNM, Tun Ismail Mohamed Ali, conceived this idea from the earliest coins of the Malay state, in particular the gold coins of Kelantan. The Kijang logo was formalized in 1964, featuring off course a Kijang, a sun and a crescent moon. The sun symbolizes power and the crescent moon represents Islam.

Ancient Malaysian history is not recorded in a proper manner, unlike the Greeks, Romans or even English who had written records.

Most of the Malaysian history travelled from word of mouth. So it is difficult to separate facts from fiction.

Che Siti Wan Kembang is believed to be the ruler of Kelantan in the 15th century. Her adopted daughter, Puteri Saadong is believed to have taken over the regalia of Kelantan upon Che Siti’s demise. Kijang is her favourite pet. Hence, the usage of her favourite pet, the Kijang is incorporated into the Patani Kelantan Gold Kijang coin. How much is truth remains to be established? However, my piece is from that era.

Debates still persist, upon closer inspection, it does not look like a Kijang but it resembles more of a Bull. Due to the fact of the visible hump on it’s back and unusually long tail, akin to a bull’s tail. Kijang had a short tail. Indian influence in Malaya was strong back then, which would favour the bull explanation more.

No special explanation why the raised tail is touching the sun.
   
Kijang (Muntiacus Muntjak) or barking deer is densely located in Southeast Asia. It is an omnivorous species. In other words, it is a small size Deer or Rusa. This is not to be confused with a Kancil (Tragulus Kanchil) or Mouse Deer.

Rusa



Kijang



Kijang Gold Coin issued by BNM



Kancil

No comments:

Post a Comment