Tuesday 22 March 2016

P Ramlee

Tan Sri Datuk Amar Dr. P Ramlee

After months of advertising the much awaited documentary on the life and times P Pamlee was finally aired on Astro’s History Channel 555 on 31 October 2010. There have been numerous repeats of this broadcast since but that was the first time it was aired. I remember waiting excitedly in front of the “Idiot Screen” to know more about this lost idol and hero of our Malaysian cinema. However, what I saw left me utterly dumbfounded. The documentary depicted P Ramlee’s rise to fame and his heart wrenching downfall leading to a massive heart attack. The day the legend died, I was not yet born. I only knew P Ramlee from his ever entertaining movies. Hence, the documentary not only shocked me but left me speechless and in dismay as how a society who had previously worshiped him, literally left him for dead, when he could no longer draw an attraction.  

His success at Shaw Brother’s at 8 Jalan Ampas, Singapore was apparent the result of the studio’s incredible wealth of resources from money, experienced crew, choreographers and directors, assembled from more experienced industry players from India, Hong Kong and Indonesia. Notable directors with Shaw at that time included BS Rajan, L Krishnan and Phani Majumdar.

With this enormous support given, Ramlee was able to focus solely on his talent and thrive in music, acting, screenplay, editing and directing.

With the separation from Singapore from Malaysia in 1964, the then Premier of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew was unable to keep at bay the unreasonable demands of the unions for higher pay. This resulted in Shaw Brothers calling it a day. Ramlee was enticed to return back to Malaysia. However, upon his return things was not as rosy as promised. Merdeka studios was not up to the mark and took a toll on his capabilities. Having to do multitasking studio works, he could no longer focus solely on acting. This affected the quality of his movies. EMI terminated his musical contract. He tried to set up P Ramlee productions but could not secure any government grant and did not get any support even local juggernaut’s RTM. To make ends meet, he ran mah-jong tables and sang at weddings and other functions.

With television gaining more traction and attracting a wider audience, cinema goers were reducing. The younger generation had a huge pull towards western songs and sneered at old sentimental and conventional movies. With the feeling of being completely and utterly broken down, it eventually took a toll on his health.

Prior to his death, he had received a summons for becoming a guarantor. He died of a heart attack on 29 may 1973 at 44 age on the way from his home at 22 Jalan Dedap, Taman P Ramlee, Setapak, Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Lumpur Hospital. He died penniless and shunned by the people he made wealthy.

This is my small way of giving tribute to this legend. Genuine two sided movie flyer. Need to find a suitable spot to place homage




Close up


1 comment:

  1. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

    My name is Mrs RODNEY BRITTANY NICOLE. I live in United State Of America working here I am from Philippines and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my Company and my Family situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $300,000,00 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to MR IBRAHIM MUSA,and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at (powerfinance7@gmail.com)

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM
    **********************
    Your full name:
    Country/State:
    Loan Amount:
    Duration
    Phone:
    Monthly income:
    Occupation:

    Awaiting your swift response.
    May Allah bless you.
    IBRAHIM MUSA
    power Financial Service Pvt.
    Contact Him At :powerfinance7@gmail.com
    WhatsApp Number +919717357946

    ReplyDelete