Monday 7 March 2016

Gasing Uri

When Malaysia was still known as Malaya or Tanah Melayu, Gasing use to be played frequently after the padi harvest as a form of celebration to unwind after a hard year of work. 

Playing Gasing was inseparable from the people just like the saying music and melody goes hand in hand.  

Out of the many types of Gasing, one that impresses me the most is Gasing Uri. Played mostly in Kelantan & Terengganu. 

Rules of the game is simple. Once the spinning top is launched, it is swiftly scooped off the ground using a cokok (wooden spatula) and transferred to a lopok (piston like handle wood). The gasing that spins the longest is the winner. 

There are claims that a professional Gasing player can spin his Gasing uri for up to 2 hours.

The types of wood used in production of these types of discus Gasing are Bebaru, Semeru, Bunga Cempaka Merah and Kemuning.

The outer layer of the wooden discus is wrapped in metal. 

Picture from the Internet the Rope, Cokok, Lopok and finally the Gasing Uri


These are pictures of my own Gasing Uri and Lopok. Currently I only have 1 in my possession. Given to me by a friend, whose family are avid gasing players  


I do not have the Cokok and Rope  


Observe view


Reverse View. The Gasing Uri is rather heavy. If the player is an amature, I dread to think what would happen when he launches the Gasing and there are bystanders


Displayed in my living room besides my lightsaber


Picture from the Internet. A Player launching the Gasing Uri and his Colleague will use the Cokok to pick up the Gasing and place it on a Lopok



Let the spinning begin. He who spins the longest wins






No comments:

Post a Comment