Wednesday 9 September 2020

Badam Milk Recipe

Recently after my kids arts classes, we went to a local Indian bistro in Kota Kemuning, my eldest child saw something unfamiliar to him on the drinks menus and queried what it was. 

I informed him badam milk is just almond milk and he shrug in utter confusion. I clarified that it is made of crushed almonds and cooked in milk to bring out the delicious almond aroma with a creamy texture. “You should try it, you may like it. To me, it is nice”, I informed. He agreed. I think it cost about RM9.90, if I’m not mistaken. 

When the drink came, he saw it looked like normal milk only with a slight light brown hue in shade. He tried it immediately, not from curiosity but more from thirst. He said it is very nice and very sweet. He said next time he wanted to order the same. 

I said I can make it for him at home and it would taste better as we would not sting one the ingredients.

So that is what I did on Sunday, 6 September 2020. We purchased some almonds nuts. almonds essence, vanilla extract, cinnamon sticks, rock sugar, honey and milk.

Long story short, it tasted amazing, very creamy, flavor packed and lots of crushed almonds.

Here is the recipe. I am unable to list the contents in weight or amount as it was made to taste. Meaning, keep adding and tasting, until you are satisfied with the final results.

Started first with pounding the almonds, You can use a blender but I choose not to due to small quantity to crush the almonds. Furthermore, I wanted it to be chunky.      

Thereafter, I started to roast them on low heat. Do not add any oil to roast them. 

Once the kitchen is filled with the smell of the roasted almonds, I added in milk and stirred.


Due to the low heat and constant stirring, the milk took time to boil. Just before the milk reached the boiling point, I added in the almonds essence, vanilla extract, cinnamon sticks, rock sugar, honey and milk. My wife suggested in future I replace the rock sugar with brown sugar to balance out or neutralize the honey taste.

Once the milk boils, just have a final taste to ensure all is up to your liking. Turn off the heat and you’re done. Well, almost. Now, just let the milk to cool down and place it in the refrigerator. 

Nothing like the refreshing taste and aroma of an ice cool badam milk on a hot day. Everything cost me about RM40 but I had badam milk for 4 family members to drink till their hearts desire and it was flavor packed with ample ingredients. Enjoy 😊


  



No comments:

Post a Comment