Sunday 26 April 2020

Muhammad Ali in Malaysia 1975

Muhammad Ali the “Greatest Heavy Weight Champion of the World”, was born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr on 17 January 1942 in Louisville, Kentucky. At 18, Clay won a gold medal in the light heavyweight division at the 1960 Olympics and became the world heavyweight champion at age 22 in 1964 by defeating Sonny Liston
Clay predicted victory, boasting that he would “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee” and knock out Liston in the eighth round
Picture from internet


In 1975 Muhammad Ali came to Malaysia for a friendly warm up match with Joe Bugner before his main bout with Joe Frazier dubbed the Thrilla in Manila.  

Here are some pictures of his visit to Malaysia in 1975. Circled in red is my dad 


Ali taunting Joe Bugner (seated right)


A souvenir given by Muhammad Ali to my dad...his personal name card


The Great Champ passed away on 3 June 2016. RIP and God bless 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Maran. I'm a documentary producer. I am doing a documentary on Muhammad Ali's fight in Malaysia. Is there anyway I could get in touch with you. My email is maran.perianen@gmail.com

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete