Friday 3 April 2015

Benta

If you search the internet to find out more about Benta, surprisingly there is not much information. This is a stark contrast to other places in Malaysia. The reason I say this is because Benta appears to have a rich Chinese heritage and history, judging from the age of houses generally in the area.

The only thing I managed to obtain from the internet is that Benta is geographically located at these coordinates, 4° 1' 0" North, 101° 58' 0" East.

Anyhow its near Lipis, Pahang. So heres my Two cents worth of contribution to bring alive this town.

I was made aware of Benta, thanks I must say to K3K Benta Kaya Kopitiam. Its one of my family's favourite food joints. Apparently Benta Kaya has been in operation since 1955.

Its founder, Ho Kwai Sam ( 何桂三 ) in 1930 migrated from China and resided in Benta, Pahang. He was a rubber tapper and operated a small grocery stall. Eventually, realizing that a rich sensation coffee / tea would lead to an energetic day tapping rubber, he inventively, founded 桂三記 (Kwai Sam Kee) and originated a homemade kaya, served with fresh baked bread and aromatic smooth coffee to start everyone’s day.

After 50 years of history at Benta, Kuala Lipis, Pahang, Malaysia, Benta Kaya Kopitiam (K – Kwai桂, 3 - Sam 三, K - Kee 記) carries on the traditional in various locations.

Trust me when I say that their kaya is the bomb. We always buy a cup to bring back home, whenever we eat there.

It was during one of my visits to Benta Kaya Kopitiam that I realized that they got their inspiration to name their outlet after the Benta Bridge. Hence, I made it a mission to one day see it for myself and that's what I did. 

Pictures were taken on 1 April 2015 and its No April Fools Joke.
 
The Benta Bridge, linking two towns. Its about 50 meters


 Underneath is the Benta River


A closeup of the Bridge

This Bridge links Kampung  Sri Benta and other towns


The Chinese village settlement is reminiscence of older times


You can feel the sense of neighborhood and that it is a close knit community


You don't see wooden structures like this now days, except probably here






Remarkable Taman signage. Identifying the Malay settlement  




Simply breathtaking 


Closeup, I doubt anyone is staying here for now, but I suspect that the adjoining modern structure might be the owner







Managed to get a glimpse of this beautiful pink wooden Malay house 



The Park Ranger is also located nearby





There's a gorgeous huge old Angsana tree outside the Rangers office. My colleague is posing in the picture to give you an idea how big is the tree. Please note that I'm not an advocate of cigarettes no do I condone smoking




One of the few Villages left untouched by development. Not many places where your house has a scenery of a khatulistiwa jungle centuries old  



You will still see rubber tree plantations here






This tree is still producing rubber sap


Unfortunately this tree has "expired" its production of sap




Realize from cut grooves in the coconut tree that it is the place for people to leach on when climbing 


Closeup, the cut grooves are clearer visible


On the way exiting Benta, you will pass by Kampung Terap where you will see this gorgeous tree 


It might have died years ago but it's still a splendor to behold


The tree is almost white in color


No comments:

Post a Comment