Friday 3 January 2014

My Son's room...I am Iron Man

Finish my son's room in time for his birthday, but final touches were only completed recently. I have posted all stages involved in the process until completion of his room. His room started out an balcony. Initial plans were to make the balcony into a indoor / outdoor garden with koi pond but we subsequently agreed to make it into our son's and daughter's room. The room has a nice view overlooking the jungle. 

Prior to our D.I.Y renovation, the room was used to store some stuff and used as a clothes drying room. (pics below). See what I mean. Sorry about the picture quality but that's how bright the existing light fluorescent light bulb was, hopeless. Could barely see the evenness of the paint I was applying. 




First off use plaster to mend and seal any holes on the wall. Below are some of the tools and paint I have used. Note - this is not a product endorsement but personal preference. I use the white bristles (Brush and Roller) Stanley brand as I find them more absorbent and easier to apply paint strokes on the wall. The paint glide smoother on the wall as opposed to other brands black bristle brushes. 


 I use Majestic Optima by Jotun Paints. Color used is Peach Pink (Color code on the picture but that's how I summarize it). Paint brush about RM2.50, Plaster about RM5.00, Roller about RM5.50 and Paint about RM134. A whole 5 liters consisting of 2 thick coats will be used for an average size room.  


Other tools that you will need are rags to wipe of access paint that spill, screw driver and pliers to open your paint tin. Ensure that you shake the can well enough before you open ensuring evenness of texture and color. Place enough recycled newspapers on the floor to catch any paint spillages. As you can see in the pic below, the richness of color I had chosen.



As illustrated in the picture below, the mistake I had made by choosing the black small paint roller container to hold the paint for the roller. It was a tad too small and made rolling the paint difficult, hence, the 2nd picture shows the remedy was to tilt the roller to apply a more evenly coat of paint on the roller. Advise, get a bigger paint roller container. 



See what I mean by the poorly lit room, I can barely see evenness of coat of paint applied.  


The finally painted room (Pic below). Paint wall by wall. Once a layer of paint has dried only then apply the 2nd layer of coat.


The room finally finished and decorated. Iron Man time. My son is a HUGE Iron Man fan.




The piece de resistance. Iron Man Mark 7, Avengers Hot Toys.












No comments:

Post a Comment