Monday 14 October 2013

Cactus Garden...

14 October 2013 (Monday)

I always had a fascination with cactus's, ever since I was a kid. Something about its shape, pattern and exoticism attracted me. I guess you could say, staying in Malaysia with its vast "Khatulistiwa" jungle and lush tropical scenery made a cactus oasis even more desirable, exotic and appealing, well to me anyway. That's how I saw it then and that's how I see now (sometimes anyway).

So a few months back I began planning my vision and execution only was completed yesterday. Below are the pictures as a guide (for sharing purposes) in the event viewers would like to do the same.

The white ceramic and black clay pots were previously used for a bonsai plants but as you can guess by now, it has long died. Hence, as an advocate for the environment, began the recycling pots process. Firstly, I placed a flat piece of rock at the bottom of the drainage hole in each pot. The reason being is to ensure that sand does not sip out every time I water the plants. You could also use dried coconut husks in replacement of the flat stone.  Then placed small pebbles for better all around drainage. I also placed broken pieces of charcoal "arang" to retain moisture. I dried all items for a minimum of three days under direct sunlight to ensure that all bacteria and weed growth is hindered. This is to ensure that I do not get any unwanted weed growth in the pot at a later date.    

I purchased 3 cactus's at a local peddler in the Section 6 Shah Alam market  on 12 October 2013 for RM5 a pot. I don't know the scientific name of the cactus I purchased. I merely choose the ones I think looks nice and filled my criteria for the pot or vision.


Thereafter, transfer them to your selected pots. As depicted below.

Place black sand in the pot surrounding the cactus. I use black sand as its the most fertile. Purchased at RM2 a bag. It can be bought from most nurseries. Press the black sand down to compress it and cover all gaps or air pockets. 


Thereafter, I place clear crystal white sand to cover the black sand. This is to create the illusion of an oasis or desert. You would still need to compress the sand with your fingers. This is to ensure that there is no loose gravel that will spill out every time you water your cactus. Sprinkling water once a week will suffice as these are desert plants and has adapted to minimum water supply. Furthermore, if the roots are soaked in water, the cactus will die. The other reason for the minimum water supply is to ensure that the sand remains white and no mildew grows destroying illusion of a desert oasis. I had placed miniature figurines to create a more realistic illusion. Use your imagination and become creative with visions of how you would like your desert oasis. You could also place some small stripes of blue plasticine to create an illusion of a flowing river and place some animal figurines. You are only limited by your own imagination, equipment and off course size of pot. Cheers and good luck!      
      

Another view of the desert oasis taken from a different angle for your viewing pleasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment