Saturday 27 June 2020

Montblanc Rouge Et Noir Coral

Sometime in 2019 I accidentally stumbled upon this pen in a high end watch shop in Sunway Pyramid . I was mesmerized with such a stunning beauty from a pen. Being a Montblanc I dare not ask anything. So upon reaching home I googled to learn more about the pen. Prices for a used unit was in the region of RM3,000+. 

On my second trip to the same shop, I queried further and found out they only had the ballpoint version retailing at RM2,400+. 

After many months of searching, I found a local reseller willing to let go a new fountain pen at RM2,600. But I did not purchase as we could not agree on a price. 

Finally last week my wife went to high end brand retailer who had a MCO sale and she informed me that their are Montblanc pens. I send her a few pictures of pens I’m looking for, not expecting much. She informed me they had the Rouge Et Noir Coral (only one piece) and also the M edition. So I grabbed the Rouge Et Noir Coral first. 

I have always wanted to own a Montblanc pen, way back in the early 2000’s but it was simply out of reach. It was the ultimate status symbol. With the price always being illusive, I simply thought I may never own one. 

The Rouge Et Noir was released in 2016 as part of their Heritage collection. 

The original Rouge Et Noir was Montblanc first fountain pen and was released more than 100 years ago in 1906. It was inspired by the novel Le Rouge Et Le Noir by Stendhal. Loosely translated from French as the Red and the Black. Figboot on pens in his YouTube channel 4 years ago informed that there was one for sale in eBay for USD$16,000.

Such a beautiful gorgeous pen, the Rouch Et Noir Coral. A sight to behold 


The position of the Montblanc logo on the cap may not to everyone’s taste but it pays homage to the original emblem 


The Montblanc snow cap emblem is rather big for the size of the pen but it pays homage to the original Rouge Et Noir



The snake clip is truly unique and it has a bit of a curvature to give it a more naturalistic image.The eyes are green spinel stones 


The nib is 14 carat 2 tone gold. Very smooth nib and does not skip at all, which was a bonus point in my book. The snake head is clearly visible on the nib and the line to the feed looks like a snake flickering its tongue. This pen is a piston filler. It gives such a satisfaction unscrewing the cap. You can tell it is precision engineering


No comments:

Post a Comment