Saturday 7 September 2019

Covering drainage holes at bottom of flower pots

Greetings and salutations. If you are an avid gardener like me, you may like this. I have covered drainage holes at the bottom of flower bots using many items. Flat stones, chunks of arang, pieces of coconuts husk and coconut fiber. The import thing is to ensure that the hole is sufficiently covered to ensure sand does not leak out when watering. 

On one of my trips to the nursery, I requested to purchase coconut fibers to place at the bottom of the flower pot due to many drainage holes. They did not have any and suggested I use news paper to cover the holes. She said in time the pot will be filled up with roots and that alone will hold the sand, thus blocking the drainage holes. I was not too keen on news paper as it will get soggy and tear. Once that happens the sand will drip out when the plant is being watered. I feared that the roots may not grow fast enough to fill up the holes before the paper tears. So I adapted and used dried sturdy leafs instead to cover the holes and it worked fine. The plants are 6 months old now and being hanging pots, when I look up I can clearly see the holes still being blocked by leaves. No sand comes out when I water the plants. Only water drains subtly. So far so good. 

Today, 7 September 2019, I bought some lovely green and pink leave plants. The pot I used had too many drainage holes and in absence of coconut fibers and dried leaves, I used freshly cut leaves to cover the files. Here take a look. 




No comments:

Post a Comment